Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Bump.com and Baby's Gone Wild!

Not too long ago, my friends at The Knot asked me if I would help them out with their baby brand, The Bump, and design a fun themed baby shower which would then be televised as part of TBS's Movie and a Makeover. So, naturally, I jumped at the opportunity to do a creative project like this and maybe have a moment or two on TV! I had about 10 days to make the design and execute it, so it was a little speedy, but I love planning in a hurry and I was so lucky that some of my trusted industry buddies pitched in to help me out. I had also just recently completed a New York Wedding Workshop event at the venue, AVEvenue, so I knew it well.

After seeing the adorable invitation that The Bump had created, I was inspired to really do something WILD! The first thing that jumped into my head was that I needed to create the table design on a curvy table. Getting linens made in time was not easy, but as always, Party Rental, Ltd. came through for me and made these amazing custom fitted pink bengaline cloths. Once I had the table plan in place, I started to look for some other lounge furniture to complete the room layout. While browsing Jersey Street Furniture's catalog, I realized that my design wouldn't be complete until I figured out how to get a curvy bench to fit at my curvy tables. It wasn't easy and it required a lot of math (!) but we made it happen - complete with custom zebra bench covers!

After the show's producers lost the florist they had secured, I asked the amazing City Blossoms to execute my floral design - and they did it all and far exceeded all of our expectations - with less than one day's notice! Can you say "rock stars??"

As always, Aion Entertainment lit the room beautifully, and was able to complete my vision with the projection of an adorable jungle scene (sorry no pix!). And then - the final touch that wowed the crowd - Thomas Preti Caterers designed the most amazing custom menu, including jungle themed drinks (mocktails for the mama-to-be, of course!) that were a huge hit.

The show aired on Saturday, May 16th on TBS, and while I was only on camera for a sec, it was totally worth such a fun experience. I'll try to post more (and better) pictures shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment